Onyx is 14 months and still nurses four to five times per day. I just finished his midnight nursing and that got me thinking….when will this end? Because I’m a list maker, here are the pros and cons of weaning.
Things I like about still nursing O
- It’s our cuddle time. He’s sooo sweet and I love cradling him in my arms while her nurses.
- It’s something special that only we share.
- Sometimes I sneak a nap or at least a few minutes of relaxation or even a few minutes of reading while he’s nursing.
- Sometimes I use it to get out of things. Such as, “Just get started on washing the car without me. I’ll be there as soon as I finish nursing O.”
- I know it’s good for him.
Things I don’t like about STILL nursing O.
- Nighttime nursing. Yes he still nurses once in the middle of the night. ugh.
- Now that he’s getting older, he kind of manhandles me. When he wants to nurse he tugs insistently at my shirt. He even knows how to lift it up. He also will reach into my shirt, reach into my bra, grab my boob and try to pull it out.
- He also nurses on both boobs SIMULTANEOUSLY!! This is so annoying. He nurses on the right for just a few minutes, then goes to the left, then back to the right, then back to the left. Are you kidding me? And he manipulates my body to bring the boobs to his mouth. He moves me as opposed to moving himself. Manhandling again.
- I can’t be away from him for too long. I would really like to go to Weekend to Remember in April, but there’s no way I’m going to pump three days worth of milk.
- On the rare occasions that I have to nurse in public he absolutely REFUSES to be covered. Annoying.
Do you want to hear a hilarious story? The other night, after O had already had his midnight feeding he woke again. I was tired, so I brought him in the bed with me (I KNOW!!!!). I’m thinking that he just needs to cuddle and go back to sleep. It had only been three hours since he last nursed. Do you know that he immediately started trying to nurse? I firmly told him “No” and took his hands out of my shirt. He kept grabbing my shirt, reaching into my bra all the while whining and insisting on nursing. I told him, “NO!” and I turned over. Well, he morphed into baby Ike Turner…”Don’t turn your back on me Anna Mae!!” He grabbed my hair and pulled HARD. I yelped and he then grabbed my face and tried to turn me over. “Gimme milk Anna Mae!!!” He was totally out of control!!! It was like a scene from Austin Powers.